Drinking From the Well
Dear Faithful Friend in Christ,
Do you recognize:
- Those times when your soul feels FULL while listening to a powerful piece of music and you feel energized by the experience?
- The sense of AWE in those quiet, sacred times of life?
- The sense of WONDER sitting out on a starry night, contemplating the expanse of the universe and God—and your own small place in it?
These experiences are a small taste of the spiritual life. Sometimes, they are how God invites you into a closer relationship! They are ways you can move beyond just believing in God, and begin to “know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge so that you might be filled with all the fullness of God” as the Apostle Paul described it in Ephesians 3:19.
With the help of a certified spiritual director and learning any number of ways to pray, you can tap into the rich experience of loving God and encounter God’s healing, compassionate love for you.
Drinking From the Well
. . . is a new ministry from Seeking the Spirit Within: The Nebraska Synod Institute for Spiritual Direction Formation.
The “something more” mentioned above? Drinking From the Well has been developed to help you access that “something more”! It is a unique opportunity to learn from spiritual directors from around the Nebraska Synod and grow in your experience of the Divine.
Consider these benefits when you participate in Drinking From the Well:
- Discover how you are wired to connect with God:
- Are you a thinking pray-er or a feeling pray-er?
- How do you like to talk to God and how do you “hear” God?
- Do you need to move while you pray or do you prefer to sit quietly?
- Experiment with a variety of classic prayer practices to discover which ones work best for you
- Meet with a certified spiritual director every month in a small spiritual direction group
- Get to know like-minded people in your vicinity who are on a similar spiritual journey
- Develop habits for deepening your inner spiritual life
- Honor the yearning in your soul for that “something more”!
Are you ready to expand and deepen your faith? Drinking From the Well is open to you.
Registrations are now closed for the class beginning September 2017and going through April, 2018. Please check back for information & registration for future sessions.
- You will get a warm-up email.
- During the 8 month long session, in the first part of each month, a synod-wide webinar will introduce an hour-long lesson on the spiritual life and a prayer practice, with additional time for Q&A.
- In the middle of the month, you get to meet with a small group led by a certified spiritual director for two hours somewhere in the general vicinity of your home. (The location, date, and time will be determined when we know who is participating.)
Your commitment is to:
- Watch the webinar each month. The webinars will be recorded so you can watch them as often as you would like, on your own time. Have your computer or smart phone or tablet connected so you can access the webinars.
- Try the new prayer practices throughout each month and discover what the Holy Spirit is inviting you to.
- Attend the spiritual direction group in your area.
Cost: This eight-month course is only $250! That’s about $10/hour for each webinar and spiritual direction experience, a fraction of the cost if you were to buy them separately on the open market. The primary book we will be using is Creating a Life with God, by Daniel Wolpert. It is currently selling for $10.06 on Amazon.
How to register: Download a paper form below, and then fill it out and send it in the mail to the Nebraska Synod (or you can scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Then, send a check for $250.00 to the Nebraska Synod, 6757 Newport Ave., Suite 200, Omaha, NE 68152 with a note that it is for Drinking From the Well. Your registration will be complete when your payment is received by the Synod Office.
Contact Deacon Connie Stover at email@example.com, Rev. Carm Aderman at firstname.lastname@example.org, or any members of the Drinking from the Well leadership team: Shirley Knight at email@example.com; Kathy Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org; Rev. Patrick Sipes at sgtmuddy@gmailcom; Rev. Eric Spruth-Janssen at email@example.com; and Rev. Ann Sundberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.